Wednesday, September 27, 2017

1 Timothy 6: Contentment

I have been struggling this week. Struggling to stay positive and trust the Lord that he is providing and will provide. This mostly has to do with housing as another opportunity has come our way but is just as confusing as all the others and the answer is still cloudy with a chance of heartbreak. I get my hopes up time and time again and then it's just that much harder to face my reality of staying put. I long for a change.

My husband continues to encourage me that we won't be in this apartment forever. He even declared a deadline! "This space works for now, but we can't have two teenagers in this apartment." I will hold him to those words! (I had originally proclaimed I wouldn't raise two babies in this place.)

This morning I had a brief moment of near quiet and decided I would read my Bible. A habit that has not made it back into my daily routine yet. I read 1 Timothy 6. And these words jumped at me, literally 24 hours after stating my discontent to Chris and less than 12 hours of declaring the same to my counselor.

But godliness with contentment is great gain,  for we brought nothing into the world, and[c] we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. . . .11 Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (ESV)

I brought nothing into this world. Nothing will go with me. I have food and clothing (NASB says "covering" which made me think of shelter/housing at first) with these we will be content. Why does contentment seem to be the most fluctuating emotion in my life?

Well, for starters, I'm focusing on the wrong things. Paul tells Timothy to pursue righteousness (not money or riches), godliness, faith, love, gentleness. Not bigger and better things that you cannot take with you! Here's a quick example: Every night when I cook dinner, I don't pursue a gracious attitude or thankfulness that I have 2 feet of counter space and most often it's covered in dishes and unusable for dinner prep.


But I'd like to start. I'd like to begin pursuing godliness and take take hold of the eternal life to which I was called. This was the wake up call I needed this morning. "Godliness with contentment is great gain" or as the NASB says "But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment.

Thanks for your prayers for us and our housing search.



No comments: