Thursday, October 20, 2016

Baby B2: Five Months Old

This month really snuck up on me. It wasn't until I had to write the date for work that I realized Stephen had become a five month old. Time keeps on going and life keeps on being lived.


He didn't have a check-up this month so I don't have any new stats for you but he is growing I can tell you that! This weekend I unpacked all of the 6-month clothing and packed away the 3-month wardrobe. Between the hand-me downs from William and my nephew Alexander and the gifts we received, he has enough clothes in this size to last a year! Seriously! So many cute and adorable clothes!

We brought out the bumbo seat the other day and Stephen is a pro. I didn't even realize he was ready for sitting but he totally is. It's great to give him another angle to see the world from - instead of just laying on the floor. Tummy time still means "roll over time." He doesn't like being left alone for too long. He will play with his toys much longer if you are near him or he can see you. He loves his Sofie giraffe teething toy and his mobile which he can actually reach and dismantle and stick in his mouth!


Sleep is still a struggle. A real struggle. His naps are way too short to be restorative, lasting 20 - 40 minutes. Sometimes we can get him to fall back asleep but not often. I should say Chris can get him back to sleep, I can't. And you would think that if he doesn't nap well during the day that he surely would sleep well at night --but nope. Babies don't work that way. He is still waking up 4 times a night. We've talked about sleep training but I'm honestly too tired to put up with it. I don't have the energy to be consistent.


Feedings are interesting. He seems to prefer the bottle most of the time, although I still offer to nurse several times a day. And then sometimes he really just wants to nurse and will refuse the bottle all together. I cannot win. I end up pumping a lot even though I'm home with him.

This month we went on a little adventure to Roaring Railroad in Felton CA for William's birthday. It was a special Day Out with Thomas event. Stephen did really great most of the day. I was really thankful. I'm so glad he enjoys being in a carrier now!


Chris and I tried something new this month for our date. (Yes, we only get one a month.) Instead of going out at night when we are both so tired and miss out on the opportunity to sleep, we hired a sitter for a Saturday morning date. I was a little nervous because this meant both kids would be awake which is something I still have a hard time managing. But the boys did fantastic and the sitter survived just fine. It worked out well for us too because we had a break from the kids and got to go to bed early! (the downside was that the previous night was terrible so we were exhausted on our date, but you can't win at everything . . . )

Stephen loves his big brother and smiles nearly every time William walks into his line of sight. The other day I overheard sweet giggles as William played with him. It's really great to see them interact already! I can't wait for more!

No comments: