Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Shelter-in Place: Week 4

We are heading into our 4th week of sheltering in place. School officially closed in San Francisco on Monday, March 16th but we had pulled William out after school on Thursday afternoon. Chris had been working from home since Monday, March 9th and we he had a feeling we needed to make that call--not knowing the school district was a day away from announcing the closure.

The last three weeks feel like six. We have a functional routine for the kids and that helps a ton but we are missing our neighborhood playground outings immensely. I should say I miss them. My kids don't seem to care they can't play at our usual hotspots; but the tantrums at the end of the day tell me that even though they aren't asking for it their bodies desperately need to be more active than what we can do at home. And I miss the opportunity to sit outside in the fresh air and watch them play.

So, what do we do all day?
Here's our routine:

7 - 9 a.m. = wake up, eat breakfast, get dressed, morning choice time
9 -10 a.m. = computer time: abcmouse.com activities and online Spanish books (listening)
10 a.m. - 12 = choice time
12:00 - 12:30 p.m.  = lunch and story time
12:30 - 1:30 p.m.= quiet times
1:30 - 2 p.m. = choice time
2 - 3 p.m. = Academic time (currently we do not have work assigned by the school)
3- 4 p.m. = computer time: abcmouse.com activities and yoga
4 - 5:30 = choice time (sometimes we go outside)
5:30 = Dinner as a family
6 - 7:30 = bedtime routines (boys have staggered bedtimes)

And then from 7:30 - 10 Chris and I virtually catch up with our men's/women's groups or MOPS, play games or watch movies.

We miss seeing our friends and having playdates and dinner guests. Zoom and social media help us keep in touch but it's not the same. You know this. Stephen and I had a fairly solid routine before this all started. Nearly every morning from 9 - 12 we had something going on and were spending time with people -- things like MOPS, a child observation class at SF City College, a women's bible study that offered childcare, and a two-day a week playdate/child care swap with a friend. We miss all of that. And William is missing his classmates as well and all the things they did together.

I am very grateful for how well the boys play together; some days they don't want to split up for quiet time. There are of course times of disagreement, fighting and wrestling. We did end up increasing their screen time with some learning apps and special programs like the videos of Mo Willems doodling or the museums that offer viewings of their animals. One month in and they are handling that okay; the first week was hard as they'd complain or cry or fight me when the program was over. Having our schedule helps keep the boundaries in place.

And those two hours a day help me get my stuff done. What stuff? you ask. . . 
 - quiet time/prayer/Bible study
 - connect with friends and family
 - prepare for MOPS virtual meetings
 - clean (dishes, floors, laundry, bathrooms, etc)
 - read for fun
 - prepare homeschool materials

So, while it's more screen time than I would prefer but it does help me feel like I have some time for myself and the things I need to do. And that way I can be (or try to be) more present during their playtimes so I can play too.

How are you doing with your families at home?

No comments: