Sunday, June 14, 2020

Rearranged Furniture and a Quiet Corner

I'm not sure if any of you are going through a "fix all the things" in your homes as you shelter in place... but we certainly are! Shortly after I posted the tour of my condo we decided to make some changes to our living room; we knew all along that we needed a few other things to make it complete but hadn't known just what we wanted or how it would all fit. And rearranging furniture/decorating isn't one of my strengths so it took some time. But I think we're closer!

The first thing we did was swap the TV and loveseat and move the loveseat closer so it was easier to watch movies (previously it was just a little too far from the TV). Then after weeks of online shopping we picked out a new entertainment stand. Wa-la:

This TV stand was one of our first purchases (from the Salvation Army) when we first moved into our apartment 10 years ago. bye-bye!




 By moving the loveseat we created a little nook for the boys which I was hoping would become a "quiet corner" for reading or listening to audio books. Temporarily it looked like this:


I loved that they had a place to display their art, but it wasn't cozy enough for them to hang out back there. We were also struggling with the "no jumping on the new couches" rule when shelter in place got extended. So, I DIY-ed a few "jumping pads" that could double as cushions in this corner. (Bought a giant piece of foam, cut it in half, put crib sheets on them and called it done.)

The boys love having an approved place to jump, but it has made them much more daring in finding new heights to jump from. (Eek!) Brightside: I don't have to get mad about couch jumping nearly as much. And since the cushions/pads are movable, they can go anywhere -- quiet corner, bedroom or living room. 

The last step was adding a new bookshelf. One I have wanted ever since I had a little baby. But never felt very functional. But now, in this narrow space meant for reading, I think it fits perfectly!



We will see if they want to put up their art again and how that changes the look; but functionally I think it turned out pretty nice. (Current artwork are things I had from long ago, someday I will make a big art poster for the corner... or they can make one themselves).

The whole space looks so different and I am loving it. 


No comments: