Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Giving Thanks for Employment

Today I am celebrating my one-year anniversary of being employed. It started with a temporary position as a data-entry operator for a non-profit missionary organization. Not much has changed since then except my employment status became "permanent" rather than temporary and now I have benefits.

You may be thinking, "Emily, why would you celebrate something so mundane, so ordinary? It's not like you have an incredible job or anything. Everyone expects you to be working anyway." And you're right, my job isn't glamorous by any stretch of the imagination, but I have to say, having a job for an entire year after going through six months of unemployment is worth celebrating. Especially since there are 13.7 million people in the United States that can't find work. (That figure was taken from a March 4, 2011 News Release from the Bureau of Labor Statics U.S. Department of Labor.)

Last night, Chris and I were talking about what it would be like if I were able to be a house-wife; what would I do if I didn't have to work. And honestly, I'd probably end up sitting on my bum all day kind of like I did when I was unemployed. (Okay, that's not exactly true, I had projects, I worked-out, I read and prayed a lot, but I did feel like I was being lazy during that time!)

And I realized as we were talking that I'm glad I'm working again. I'm very thankful the Lord provided me with this job. I do get a little stressed out every now and then trying to fit everything into my week (groceries, cooking, cleaning, doctors appointments/calls, hanging out with my husband and my friends, hobbies, etc.), but I do enjoy working. I enjoy getting out of the house everyday, building relationships with my co-workers, and being apart of this great missionary organization. I also enjoy my paychecks!

This year has gone incredibly fast! I cannot believe I've been working for Jews for Jesus for a year. I'm so thankful that the six-week temporary job turned into being something more. That very fact gave us the courage (and proof-of-employment) we needed to move into San Francisco. It was a very encouraging gift from God after those six long months of silence!

185.9 Miles - going a bit slower because of rain and some foot pain

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I'm glad you are here too! I had my four month anniversary this week at work and I too am very thankful for employment