Monday, March 28, 2011

Blissful Weekend

This past weekend was wonderful! Chris was out of town for the weekend which gave me the excuse to do whatever I wanted . . . relax, read, watch a movie, cook, clean, whatever!  I was free from all obligations this weekend. (Well, I did miss one meeting I was suppose to go to after church, but I forgot about it. Oops!)  I'm not saying I don't like having Chris home, I actually LOVE it when he is home with me, I miss him terribly when he's away even for just a night.  But having him gone motivated me to work on some things I wouldn't normally have gotten around to.

On Saturday morning I was actually wide away at 6 a.m. but made myself stay in bed until 8. After my quiet-time and breakfast (and doing a couple of loads of laundry in between) I went to a shoe store where I had plans to get new orthotic insoles for my new shoes. This was actually a big deal for me for a couple reasons. 1) I've been "prescribed" custom orthotics that would cost upwards of $800 and this shoe store could potentially solve my issues for under $100 and 2) I NEVER drive in this city, so this was good practice. I'll have you know my parallel parking was near perfection. (My parking job the next time was not so impressive.)

After grocery shopping on my way home and grabbing a quick lunch, a few girlfriends came over for a sewing party.  It's so much fun to see each other's progress as we work together. My experience sewing as a kid could best be described as "frustrating." (For both me and my mother.) Now, I'm either more patient with myself, or have more realistic expectations, because I find it fairly relaxing. My tree skirt is coming along nicely; you can follow this project in more detail here.

The highlight of Sunday was trying something new. I went to a restorative yoga class. My physical therapist recommended it after seeing how much stress I was holding on to. From what I can tell, restorative yoga is basically taking the time to focus on your breathing and holding positions that allow you to really let go of tension in your body (and mind). I can't say that I LOVED it, but I was glad I went, and hope to do it again next weekend. It's easier on the body than regular flow styles of yoga so wasn't quite so intimidating for me as a beginner.

I also had time on Sunday to make some cards. I'll be adding a post about those later on. I have been making cards for years, mostly at Christmas time, but now I'm trying to be a little more resourceful and make them for weddings, birthdays, and other card-worthy occasions.

And now it's Monday and I have to get back to work. Have a great week!

1 comment:

Millersoctober said...

Way to give yoga a shot, Em!