Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Maternity Leave Starts Now!

Today I am 39 weeks pregnant and beginning my maternity leave from work. I'm so thankful that I can take this time off to prepare for the arrival of our baby and perhaps find a few extra hours of rest before the real work and exhaustion begins.

Originally, I thought I'd work all the way up to my labor, mostly for financial reasons, but also so I could spend all the time I could with my baby at home. But as the weeks wore on, and the bigger my ankles (and belly) seemed to get, I knew I wouldn't be able to do that. I needed to have time and space to put my feet up and rest.

Now that said, I have a feeling my week may be beautifully interrupted by an "early" baby. I just have this feeling that he or she may be ready to come any day now. Chris on the other hand is expecting to have an entire week after the due date to twiddle his thumbs. So, we'll wait and see!

My plan is to take 12 weeks off from my job and return around the first of the year. Can you believe 2014 is only three months away! I'm really looking forward to (as in my soul is craving) this time off of work and being a "stay-at-home-mom." I know half of it will be a time of recovery and transition as well, but to be able to spend this time getting to know our child and be able to invest my time and energy fully in my family and my home just brings my heart joy.

These past 39 weeks have gone by incredibly fast. I have a hard time believing that our baby could be here "any day," but it's true! I am incredibly excited. A little nervous. Scared. But so, so happy. Please pray for us and our baby -- for strength during labor and health for Baby and me.

No comments: