Monday, November 27, 2017

Big Little Lies




I picked up Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty last week and read it in 3-4 days. I enjoyed it a lot and didn't want to put it down (it is common for me to ignore all house work and lists while reading a book). I had enjoyed "What Alice Forgot" by the same author years ago and enjoyed this novel just as much.

Its a murder mystery at its core but the drama that unfolds seems to have little to do with the actual murder. The characters, mostly mothers of school aged children, have worries of their own and in the end . . . well you have to read it. I enjoyed getting a glimpse of the mom-drama that comes with school, although I hope most of it is just fiction! It takes place in Australia so there are a few differences you might notice.

There are some heavy topics involved, just so you are aware -- domestic violence, divorce, and murder.

HBO did a mini series based on the book but it takes place in Silicon Valley so that gets a little closer to home. I watched a few episodes but enjoyed the book so much better.

Happy reading!

No comments: