Monday, September 30, 2019

Dragons Love Taco Party


About a month ago, William was begging to buy a dragon costume. He just really wanted to dress up like a dragon at home. So he used his savings and bought one (and that meant Stephen did too). When it arrived in the mail he exclaimed, "I'm going to wear this to my birthday party!" While he didn't really want to have a costume party, he definitely wanted to be a dragon at his party. So we went with it.

Brainstorming what to do with dragons at a birthday party I remembered the book "Dragon's Love Tacos" which the boys thought was hilarious. And the boys both actually love tacos. So I planned our menu off that and had a Dragons Love (Breakfast) Tacos Birthday party last weekend.


William then requested he have a "6" on his cake that looked like a dragon! Well, I was not going to become a professional cake decorator overnight so I had him draw me a picture of what that actually looked like. And I have to say, I did a pretty good job of transferring his idea to the cake. (Turns out I can decorate a cake like a 6 year old's drawing!) Whew! He loved it.

The day of the party arrived and I was fearing forecasted rain but it turned out to be the most perfect day and not too hot (as we had suffered for the week prior). He wore his costume until he got too warm and feasted on his taco and wrestled and played with his friends who came to celebrate with him. He blew out his candles and devoured his cake (each child requesting part of the "6"). 


We had a great morning with our friends. And I love this photo above because it's what I hope for with our birthday parties - the kids are off playing (or having a snack) while the parents get to catch up on life and enjoy time together.

My only fail (other than ordering too many tacos, but we are enjoying the leftovers) was the party favor... they were cute and made to match the theme, but I will never include slime in a favor bag ever again! It was basically sticky water. . . Stephen opened it right after we got home from the party and it ended up everywhere! In the trash they went. Sorry parents!!

No comments: