Friday, September 27, 2019

2019 Walk for Life


Alpha Pregnancy Center's Walk for Life is just 22 days away and I'm really excited for it . . . for a number of reasons! Let me tell you:

1) This year Chris and my two sons will be joining my team! Chris walked with me years ago but since William was born we have always had them stay home for that precious morning nap. But this year, Stephen isn't napping anymore and they are old enough to start participating in this service activity. I know the actual walking 2-3 miles will be challenging for them. But it'll be a good stretch and they'll get to be a part of giving gifts to a family in need.

2) My Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) group is doing a service project in two weeks to help Alpha prepare for the Walk! We are going to be stuffing all the gift bags with all the donated toys and clothes that will be delivered. They are estimating a total of 60 families and each family gets at least 5 bags of presents! That's a lot of packing! I applied for a "Action Team" grant through Thrivent Financial and we'll be using those funds to provide special care packages for the moms too! 

3) We set a goal of raising $1000 for our family's participation and we're nearly half way there already! I'm blown away by such generous givers and quick responses! If you'd like to sponsor us, please go to my crowdrise fundraising page.

But there is also a bit of sadness around this event for me this year. Eight years ago, I met the director of Alpha Pregnancy Center and realized that she attended our church. I signed up to walk the Walk that same year and quickly became more involved with the organization -- mostly with designing their newsletter -- and fundraising for the Walk every year since. Over the years, I became friends with her and eventually neighbors. Stephen is the same age as her daughter so we even got to motherhood together for a while.  In 2016, she was diagnosed with colon cancer and fought really hard doing a number of treatments that kept her going for over three years. But this past August she went to be with Jesus. When you lose someone it's fairly normal to mourn over the "firsts" of things that they aren't there for... so this is my first Walk for Life that my friend won't be there. She was the one who invited me that very first year and got me involved in the cause. She has been the event planner and brains and passion behind this event for over a decade. It was her story, her faith and her courage that inspired me in so many ways over the past eight years. There are just so many memories. And now she isn't here and she won't be there on October 19. It's a strange feeling. So we are walking because we do it every year. We love Alpha Pregnancy Center and what they do on a daily basis. But I'll also be remembering my friend on this walk and giving thanks for the difference she made in thousands of families -- mine included.


No comments: