Thursday, January 23, 2020

A Quilt for my Nephew

My youngest sister, Elizabeth had her second baby on December 1; and even though they announced that they were expecting a baby boy, I neglected to start my quilt project until the week before Thanksgiving. It came together quickly (and by that I mean my husband managed the boys and the house for a few weekends in a row!) and I was able to ship it to them by the time he was 7 weeks old. I would have shipped it earlier, but his older sister Adley's birthday is at the end of the month and I wanted to ship her gift with it... AND they were moving and I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle. So, now that they are in their new house and Adley turns 4 in a few days it is ready to send! Well, okay, I shipped it a few days ago and they have it now... which means I can show you!


The quilt I made for Adley was based on a woodland theme and I used a deer patterned fabric because her dad is a hunter. I had intended to use some similar fabrics for her new baby brother, Grayson. Shopping online was really overwhelming and I just couldn't narrow down the color scheme I wanted to use. So I headed to JoAnn Fabrics, which just reopened and is a beautiful store just south of San Francisco. After going up and down the aisles I came up with the perfect mix. At least I hoped it was perfect when I paid for it. It's always hard to tell what it will turn out like when you are holding 10 pounds of fabric bolts. 

Sorry for the fuzzy pic -- my son took it for me.

 Orange and navy blue are actually one of my favorite color combinations -- ever since I dressed William in a plaid orange and navy dress shirt with orange pants when he was 11 months old! I had intended to sew him a quilt with this color combo years ago but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe when he leaves for college!  Anyway, when I saw the navy and orange together I couldn't let it go. And then I found the leaf pattern which included gray and yellow and it grew from there.


This pattern is called Blooming Fields by Dana Willard; it was a free pattern found online.  It's 42" x 50" which seemed bigger than most of my previous quilts; that was fine until it was time to quilt it on my regular sewing machine. I managed it just fine but there were a few frustrating moments. I also purchased batting that was too thin, so I doubled it up to make it thicker/softer. I've never done that before and technically don't know if it's allowed... will have to see how it holds up. I liked the thickness much better. 

I hope the colors suit this new little guy and his new room. Grayson Ryan, I look forward to watching you grow -- even if it's from a distance. We love you so much!

No comments: