Thursday, February 4, 2016

I'm an Aunt Again! A Baby Quilt for my Niece

I've been behind my sewing machine every spare minute since Thanksgiving quilting for gifts for two new babies in the family. My sister, El was due just six weeks after Molly, but since she found out the gender of her baby and was getting an actual nursery ready, I started with hers. She had her baby girl just last week!

At the time I started the quilt, the potential nursery theme was coral and blue with woodland animals. It took me nearly six hours to pick out the fabric, and who knows how many hours to sew it, but I did it. And I love how it turned out.






The final size is 40" x 40." The binding fabric was some yellow floral piece I had left over from my very first quilt. It matches the main backing piece really well. I did the top stitching using my free-motion foot. I was out of practice so it took me a while to get used to doing that again. Of course there are a ton of things that I should have ripped and redone, but my machine was acting up a lot so I had to go with it.

I hope the colors match the nursery, which I haven't seen yet. I wanted it to be feminine, but not so much that dad would scoff at using it. I think the deer add a nice touch; I'll say it's in honor of the first deer he got this winter with his bow! And hopefully this baby girl gets some use out of it - whether it be a floor mat or a lap blanket . . . or a giant burp cloth!

Can't wait to meet you little Adley Rae!

No comments: