Monday, October 19, 2020

Decorating Attempt: Couch Pillows

I have found myself being inspired by author Myquillyn Smith, also known as The Nester over the past few years.  I discovered her website and book, Cozy Minimalist a couple of years ago when I was desperate to purge and think more minimalistic with my home. She has a very warm style and is very intentional in how she decorates her home -- yes she decorates even though she believes in having minimal stuff. Now, I have a long way to go before my home even remotely resembles her's (it never will...), but I loved the way she talked about using texture and color to compliment her home instead of clutter it. 

I recently heard her being interviewed on the That Sounds Fun Podcast with Annie F. Downs. They were talking about the top three things to have in any home to make it feel welcoming and cozy. I believe they were 1) rugs 2) curtains and 3) pillows. 

One of the first things we purchased when we moved into the condo was rugs, mostly because we had laminate flooring, children and neighbors. We desperately needed to reduce the noise! So we have a large rug and two runners in our upstairs hallway/living room. They all match with the same whimsical teal, blue, beige pattern . . . because I couldn't comprehend how to match rugs and runners any other way. And then we purchased our couches which are grey. And this is what it looked like for a long time:


We have a loveseat and couch and it came with four pillows that matched the fabric of the couch and one more decorative pillow seen above. Hearing the podcast recently reminded me about using colors and textures to decorate for seasonal changes. With Fall approaching I was compelled to make a change. And the pillows were an easy way to do it. I didn't even buy new pillows, I just bought new covers. And being this was my first attempt at really decorating I went on the cheap side because I had so much doubt about what I was doing... and even things like pillow covers can add up quickly!


I purchased two teal covers (which ended up being more shiny than I had anticipated, but match the rug fairly well), and two cream, pom-pom, corduroy-like fabric covers to bring in a bit more texture and warmth, and then one smaller orange frilly cover for a Fall accent.  It looks so different, right?!


I intend to keep the teal covers on year-round and I might keep the cream ones on too but to me they feel more Fall/Winter. So, I'm going to keep my eyes out for something else for Spring/Summer. But can hold off until I find something I really love. The orange covers will be transitioned to other covers as the seasons change too, but it was really fun to try something a little "out there" for me. 

We still have to tackle the idea of curtains which is fairly daunting to me. But slowly our space is coming together. 

No comments: