Monday, November 2, 2020

Challenge Accepted: Foster the Bay Fundraiser


In 15 days I will begin a six-day fitness challenge to spread awareness and raise funds for an organization I have come to really care about. Foster the Bay is a nonprofit working to increase the number of foster homes available in the 10 counties that make up the Bay Area. They do this by partnering with churches, raising awareness of the need for homes, providing support and walking with families as they enter into this new endeavor and they also work with these churches to build support networks so these families are not doing it all alone. These support networks help gather necessary supplies (cribs, mattresses, clothing, etc) for new placements as well as bring meals, babysit, provide needed breaks and support. 

I heard about this organization through a couple at our church when they first started looking into fostering; then I found myself going to an interest meeting last year and feeling my heart strings being pulled to help in some shape or form. We invited the organization to speak at our MOPS group and share their vision and heart for foster kids, and this summer Chris and I attended their virtual fundraising gala. 

I have several friends from college who have fostered children and eventually adopted; my brother-in-law and his wife are also raising a foster daughter. I've wanted to be a part of caring for kids in tough places for a long time and I love that I get to watch others actually do it. I'm praying that someday we will be in a place to love and care for child in this way. 

But until then, I'm doing what I can. And that is bringing this to your attention. 

There are 6,000 children in the Bay Area in the foster care system. One of the biggest concerns is that there aren't enough foster homes in the area to keep these kids in their counties. So they end up being moved farther away and uprooted from their city, their schools, and nothing is familiar anymore. All of this (including being taken from their parent or moved from one home to another) is really traumatic for these children.  We can help. We can raise funds for this organization to reach more churches, more families that have a heart to help children to have safe and loving home and we can pray.

Would you consider sponsoring me on this challenge? I'm 25% to my goal already, so I know we can make it the $1000 mark in 2 weeks time! I have no idea what the fitness challenge will include, so stay tuned. I'll share more the week of November 16-21!

There are 3 ways to give:

Facebook Donation: 
https://www.facebook.com/donate/792093014680769/
Online Payment Page: 
https://pushpay.com/g/echochurchfosterthebay 
(Choose FTB 6-day Challenge from drop down and put my name in the comment line)
Mail a Check: Foster the Bay; 1172 Murphy Ave., Ste. 130; San Jose, CA 95131

Thank you!

No comments: