Sunday, May 8, 2011

Arts, Crafts, and my Mom

Over the past several weeks I've been working on my gift for my Mom for Mother's Day. From the photos below you can probably guess that it was something I made.



My mom was and still is a very crafty woman. Any creativity I have in me probably came from her. I was reflecting on her gift of creativity while I worked on this project. She grew up sewing her own clothes and later even made my childhood Christmas and Easter dresses. There were many projects I watched her make as I sat at her feet or played in the other room. 

Soon enough I was allowed to participate in the crafts. We would make necklaces and Christmas ornaments with beads or make sun-catchers with plastic canvas and ribbon, or use rubber stamps to make cards. My mom painted, did counted-cross stitch or quilted. In my mind, everything she did was perfect; she was so careful and patient as she worked.


Then, one day, when I was probably 10-years-old, it was my turn to sit down in front of the sewing machine. I was in 4-H and had signed up to enter a pair of shorts in the county fair. My mom was so patient with me as she taught me how to use the sewing machine for the first time along with the iron. She helped me correct my mistakes (of which there were tons) and got me through that first project. 

I hated it. I cried. I wasn't good at it at all. I have to admit that this first pair of shorts was meant to be a "practice round" rather than the finished product. But I couldn't get myself to do another pair and ended up entering these in the fair instead. I did get a blue ribbon; but that was most likely to encourage me to continue learning.

At the Fair, I watched as the girls in high school modeled their prom dresses and pant-suits in the fair. I was in absolute awe that they could make such beautiful clothes (that fit!). After that I was determined to enter something again the following year and get better. I wanted to be just like them. 



I kept at it for four more years and made several outfits including a Christmas dress and matching jacket. After that I found that I really didn't like wearing the things I made; they never fit just right. So, I started making doll clothes.  And that brings me to today . . . I doubt I will ever make my own clothes; I'm still not that patient, but I do enjoy sewing now. And I like making things. I'm so glad my mom took those summers to teach me how to use a sewing machine. She taught me so much more during that time in front of the presser foot . . . she taught me to finish what I start and not give up. 

2 comments:

Sharon M said...

So, you make doll clothes? Because you have a niece that would LOVE some doll clothes for her birthday in September. Just an idea :-)

Brenda said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. Very sweet.