Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Dream Takes Shape

Last week, I got to do something I have always wanted to do. Something I have been thinking about doing for a long time, but never had the opportunity or the courage to do. It's easy for me to say, "I'm not good enough, talented enough, or creative enough to actually do that." And yet, the desire was always there. Pinterest encouraged it a little bit. But my friends and husband encouraged me more. And so, I did it! Just once. And I'll need a lot more practice. But I did it, and it went just fine!

What did I do, you ask?

I took maternity photographs of a couple. Our friends are expecting their baby within the next three weeks and they let me take their photographs.

Big deal, right?

Well, maybe not. But, it was a start. I have been thinking about taking family photographs, specifically infant and maternity photographs for a long time. Like years. But I never had the guts to try it. I've seen so many really wonderful photographs that I can't beat so I just kept putting it off.  Scared to try.

I've always loved photography. I've taken my cousin's engagement photographs, later I shot another cousin's wedding, and I did my sister's reception last summer. I have a little experience, but it has always been with family. I loved doing all of it.

 I think I'd like to have a little side business someday, and it kind of felt like doing this session last week was a way to get started. I totally enjoyed the session. (I think the couple did, too!) It felt like I was doing something right - something I was perhaps made for. Does that even make sense? 

This opportunity came about in an interesting way too. I was having coffee with a bunch of girlfriends a few weekends back and I asked my expecting friend if she was going to have photos taken before the baby was born and then you know, infant photos. She hadn't really thought about it but said she could ask one of her friends who is a photographer. Another friend across the table said, "Or, Emily could do it!" I'm not sure how much any of my friends here know how much I love photography, so the comment caught me off guard. And the topic sort of settled after that. I followed up with my soon-to-be-a-mother friend just confirming my interest in doing it for her. And a few weeks later - it happened!

Here are a few photos from the session with my friends. Hopefully, there will be more opportunities to come!







1 comment:

Molly said...

all those pics look like they could be from a magazine