Monday, December 17, 2012

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years


Donald Miller is one of the more candid authors that I enjoy reading. Sometimes it feels like his thoughts just kind of threw up on the page; they are honest and real, and often thought-provoking. His words are deep, but in a simple way. They are easy to read yet make a deep impact. This was true when I read Blue Like Jazz years ago and it was true again when I read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years.

The book starts out as a retelling of him meeting two guys who wanted to make a movie about Don's life. As he works with them to create the screenplay, he thinks about story. What makes a good story? How do you write a good story . . . and more importantly how do you live a good story?

He shares quite a few of other people's stories. And tells how he is trying to improve his own story (his life). He starts taking risks, and going on trips, and working on projects. He starts noticing how others are impacting his life and how he is impacting other lives.

There are so many times that as I read this book, I wanted to write down what I was reading . . . but at the same time I didn't want to put the book down. So, although I can't share actual quotes with you I will share with you a few thoughts of my own.

A while back, I had blogged about story. And every time I read about story, it strikes a chord. I want my story to matter. I want my story to be a good one. I think that might be why I enjoyed Donald Miller's book so much, he feels the same way I do. We want our lives to matter.

It's hard not to let the daily-routine of life become your story. I wake up, I go to work, I come home and have dinner, watch some TV and I go to bed. It's easy to let time slip by without going after what you really want. It takes courage, energy and even creativity to live a good story.

Sometimes we fall into the trap of living busy stories. There is so much going on and so many different things to do that we miss the point of the story -- it might not be boring, but it's not the story we feel designed to live either.

Donald Miller's book was entertaining and encouraging. I hope you'll read it too -- and tell me what you think!

No comments: