Monday, February 3, 2014

Stories of Community

A few friends of mine and I were talking about community on Sunday morning and how important it is to us. It reminded me of some past events (and more current) where I have heavily relied on my community to get through something. And the more I think of how much they have helped me, the more I want to find ways of helping them.

A great example of community to me happened back in 2009, at the very same time I started my blog. Check out this ancient post! In the first paragraph, I mention "a few friends" came to help us move out of our apartment. Well actually it was like 8-10 people. NOT a few! And they did so much to get us on the road to start our life in California. Not only did they load stuff in our vehicles (and do an amazing job fitting almost everything in!) but they brought breakfast, helped me clean the apartment so we could check out, and brought things to the Goodwill and recycling centers for us. They also prayed with us and hugged me while I cried. All before 11 a.m.





We needed their help. And they provided so much more.

Another example that happened just last week was girlfriends responding to my cry for help. Those were literal tears of exhaustion and being overwhelmed of trying to work and be a stay-at-home mom. I was broken. I sent out a S.O.S. to my friend in Australia who prayed for me and encouraged me via texts. She advised I ask for help from those in closer proximity. So I did. Humbly, I did. And they responded! Four friends gave up time to help me by babysitting, grocery shopping, and making dinner. They saved my sanity and encouraged my soul. I felt like I did more than survive the week!

Community, being supported and surrounded by people who care, is such an amazing gift. Not one to be taken for granted, but one to be cultivated and nurtured. I'm so grateful for the ways our friends have helped us and cared for us in our times of need.

Where do you find your community?
When was a time you needed community?
Please take a moment to remember and share!

No comments: