Sunday, June 29, 2014

Handmade Wallet

Two years ago, Chris bought me a cash-envelope system for my birthday. There were five envelopes with a plastic comb binding; each envelope had a different design and color. It was really pretty and made it a little more exciting to have to carry cash around. And it fit perfectly in my wallet.

It got a lot of use in two years. It had been taped back together multiple times and re-labeled. Finally, two months ago, my water bottle leaked in my bag and my paper envelopes practically dissolved. They were done.

I had known for a while that they would need to be replaced, and I had assumed that I would just make my own paper envelopes and find another way to bind it. But then I stumbled on this blog and figured a cloth wallet would last a lot longer and with zipper pouches I could keep my coins in place as well! It was going to be perfect.

I bought the supplies a long time ago, before William was born actually. And a couple of weeks ago I finally had time to sit down and put it together. It took two afternoons but it turned out pretty good.



I made an adjustment to the instructions on the blog: I put a sash on it with velcro instead of the elastic and button. There are a few things I should have done differently, like put the velcro on before sewing the sash to the wallet, and making the credit card slots a little narrower. I also got one of the zippers on the wrong way. None of these are really a big deal (unless a credit card falls out!).


The one downside is that it is two inches bigger and another inch thicker than my previous wallet making it more of a clutch than a wallet. It fits fine in my diaper bag, but is a little bulky in my purse.


I used fabric that I had bought years ago for quilting so my only purchase was the zipper. Even the cute button was in my stash. I plan on replacing the velcro with a white square soon but have to get to the craft store first.


Now if I spill on it, I can easily wash it and dry it and my change isn't going to fall out everywhere. And it has me motivated to continue doing the cash system all over again!

No comments: