Thursday, August 21, 2014

Coupons: Losing Money

Believe it or not, couponing isn't always profitable . . . let me share my most recent (and oh, so sad) story.

About a month ago, Chris did a major grocery run for me. The list was long and some items heavy. I was so thankful he went for me. I just didn't have the energy.

One of the sales going on at the time was on cereal; if you bought 2 boxes, you'd get a coupon to use on your next shopping trip for a $1 off, if you bought 3, you'd get $2 off, and if you bought 4 boxes of cereal, you'd get a coupon for $3 off your next shopping trip. Of course, I told Chris to buy all 4.

Well, the month came and went and that coupon was still siting in my wallet yesterday. That $3 coupon was expired! AAAHH! Seriously, I may have let a little scream out of my mouth in the store. So, not only did I loose out on saving $3, I actually spent more buying cereal than I would have had I not had the original offer to begin with. Ouch!


So you see, if you don't use your coupons (especially the ones you earn) you can lose money.

_______

I haven't been couponing as much lately. I just can't find the time to stay that organized. But I still get frustrated with myself when I let a good deal slip away. My most recent stock-up worthy trip happened yesterday with Arm & Hammer laundry detergent.

Walgreens was having a sale: Buy 1 Get 2 Free and I had a $2 off coupon when I buy 2. 
For all 3 bottles of detergent, I paid $4.79. Not bad considering that should cover us for at least the next 6 months (if not the whole year)!


No comments: