Sunday, August 24, 2014

My Cousin's Wedding

William and I flew to Minnesota for my cousin's wedding. Stephanie had met the man of her dreams and I couldn't miss their special day. Stephanie had always been a close cousin, although my sister informed me that she and Stephanie are the "closest" "favorite cousins;" she was one of the "older" girl cousins on my mother's side of the family. We are both the oldest siblings and were both pretty boy crazy growing up. She took me riding with their horses when I would visit and only made a little bit of fun of me for being slow and unsure. Stephanie came to my wedding in Colorado and did my hair for me as well as three of my bridesmaids! I just could not miss her day.

And, it would be the only chance I would have to bring William to Minnesota this year (my parents hadn't seen him since Christmas).

I've already shared the details of our flights. So, this is the story of our visit.

William and I stayed with my sister, brother-in-law and their daughter on the first night. They had just moved to Minneapolis five days prior, so it felt a little like camping but it was great to be together and get to see their place. Sleep was difficult for all of us that first night as both babies were having a hard time.

It was a rainy weekend so our ambitions of going to the pool and the park didn't happen. Instead, we let the babies play indoors and try to nap at least once before we hit the road.  It was a 3-4 hour drive to Rosen, MN and I took the role of baby-whisperer-wanna-be from the middle of the backseat (a car seat on each side). Naps were brief and the Cheerios only latest for a while. We ended up taking a little break in a park so everyone could stretch and get some fresh air. It may not have helped William, but it definitely helped me!

Once we arrived at the hotel, I tried to get William to take one more decent nap before dinner. New places are really a struggle for him, but he did eventually fall asleep.  The rest of my siblings arrived a little later and we had dinner and played games.

When William woke up, I re-introduced him to John, Ryan, and El. It took a little bit of coaxing, but he eventually warmed up to them.

The next day was the wedding. I was so excited to put William in his little outfit - a blazer and shorts, but I failed to get a good photo of his whole outfit. He was so cute. I was a little bummed that the rain continued as I was hoping to get some photos outside of him and my niece. They both looked adorable, you'll have to take my word for it.

The wedding was wonderful. The bride was stunning. I had a front row seat. My brother held on to William for me and William did fantastic - just a peep or two. During the wedding, I realized that I flew all the way here to see this moment and I'll be lucky if I get 5 minutes to talk to the bride! It made me a little sad. Weddings are not the place to catch up - especially with the bride! She was a busy lady -- but I did get five minutes!

I did get to talk to my other cousins and meet their kids, I was able to spend some time with my aunts and uncles that night at the reception and the next day for breakfast.

My parents took the babies back to the hotel so Molly and I could enjoy more of the dance. I had a blast. I haven't been to a wedding dance in far too long. And there is no one I'd rather dance with than my siblings who already know I'm a little bit of a dork on the dance floor!

The next morning, we had breakfast and packed up. The babies both took a great nap which made us checkout a little late, but I couldn't wake them up! Napping had been difficult the whole weekend.

We had a picnic in the park before driving back to Minneapolis.

My parents joined us at my sister's place for the night which was nice to get more time with them. My trip was really short so I was thankful they made the extra drive and spent an extra night with me. William refused to go to sleep that night, screaming with a bit of a fever. We all ended up taking turns trying to coax him to sleep. Finally, I ended up laying down with him and he conked out.

The next day, we said goodbye and started our trek home.

William is a creature of routine and I'm thankful at home his routine usually works for him. But when we travel, it's fair to say sleep is difficult. We both got home a little exhausted, and missing family already, but it was so good to be home.

No comments: