Thursday, January 1, 2015

A Gift for My Niece

A few weeks before Christmas, my sister-in-law sent me an email asking if I would be up for sewing a pillow case for her daughter's Christmas present. I had sewn a few gifts for her older daughter years ago, so the request wasn't out of the ordinary. In fact, I love giving handmade gifts and was glad she let me know what Samantha needed!

After asking a few questions (size, color, theme?) I found out Samantha (4 years old and cuter than a button) loves Hello Kitty! 

Sewing a pillowcase should have been easy right? Fold the material right sides together and sew two sides and turn it right-side-out. Easy. Ten minutes, tops! WRONG. This pillowcase took me two entire weekends to sew. But check it out - it's so cute!



Now, let me explain my adventures of sewing a pillowcase: I didn't want to go to the fabric store the Friday after Thanksgiving, although I had the time to do it. Instead, I went on Saturday. I took William with me so Chris could write. JoAnn's was crazy. I waiting in line to get the fabric cut for 45 minutes. Then another 20 to checkout. Ugh. William did alright, but I could tell he wasn't loving it. I wasn't either, honestly, I was mad and frustrated with everyone there.

After the fabric was washed and ironed, I started cutting it. Well, I measured twice, just like I was told . . . but I cut the wrong end! So, the fabric was now way too small for a standard pillowcase. I blame this on my foggy-mom-brain and lack of sleep. 

So, I sent Amazing Husband back to the fabric store the following day to buy another yard. He ended up waiting almost as long as I did! He started inventing ways fabric stores could operate more efficiently and may start working on an app for that.

This time, I got it right. I added an accent of pink on the end along with blue piping to make it a little more exciting. That didn't take nearly as long as I had thought, although I did have to rip out a few sections and do them over again. 

So, what did I do with that first yard of fabric I royally screwed up? No, I didn't throw it away!

I made my niece a pillow and quilt for her doll! But that didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped either. In the end it looked adorable and just how I wanted, but it took me several hours to get it there. I am so out of practice!




Merry Christmas Samantha!
May you never doubt how loved you are!

No comments: