Saturday, January 30, 2016

I'm an Aunt: Baby Quilt for Nephew

I'm an Aunt again!! My sister had her second child last month, a baby boy named Alexander. He arrived a little on the late side, but healthy and is known as the most calm baby in the world. My sister decided this time to keep the gender unknown until the birth which for this DIY quilter, meant I could either send a belated baby gift or make it a gender neutral color.

Well, my weekends got a little crazy and I ended up not being able to start it until nearly the due date anyway, so I opted to wait and find out if I had a nephew or a niece. I had my pattern picked out (I love Pinterest for this) and all I had left to do was make a stop at the fabric store. And because I knew what I was making ahead of time, the fabric shopping only took me 15 minutes. I know, because that's all the money I had for the parking meter!

Anyway, Alexander arrived and Christmas was only two weeks away. Needless to say, I didn't get it ready in time for that holiday, nor did I make it in time for his one month birthday. Sorry little guy. But, I did make it before he turned two months old and I love it.


I used a pattern called Herringbone which is made of half squares or triangles. It's actually the same type of square that I used for his sister's quilt but set up a little differently. I choose a navy blue and off white fabric as that really caught my eye when I was looking at photos online. Its so sharp and great for contrast for those precious baby eyes.


Since the front was so "serious" and two-toned I decided to use a brighter fabric for the back. I saw the whale pattern and thought, "Well, William would love it, so I bet this little man will too!"



But as I do with most of my projects, I had to try something new too. I found this pattern online for the braided strip. It went pretty quickly and was just what I needed to add some length to the back fabric. I had the solid fabric on hand from a previous quilt . . . it sort of matched.


The finished quilt is 36" x 36" which is a little smaller than what I had hoped for, but worked best with the amount of fabric I had (no leftovers). Hopefully this growing boy will be able to use it for a little while at least.



Welcome to the world Alexander! I cannot wait to meet you.

No comments: