Sunday, April 29, 2018

For Health and Life

For a while now, I've been thinking about some changes I need to make in my life. My diet specifically. I've become aware of how the things I eat are actually effecting the way I feel (and look). I cannot be in denial any longer. I've realized that in the past six months, my metabolism as changed. It seemed to happen overnight, really. Suddenly I looked down and my shape had changed.

I had joined a gym a year ago and go fairly regularly. If the kids aren't sick and I can get there, I go. Basically two or three times a week. I haven't been able to go on the weekends, it just seems harder for some reason. (Schedule, fun things, chores, naps, etc.) But even with the gym, my eating habits were in charge of my health and the number on the scale never went down. Only up . . . and up.

I had seen friends post about Whole30 and my sister did it a while back. If you haven't heard about it, its basically a reset for your body--for 30 days you only eat whole, natural foods including vegetables, meat, some fruit and healthy fats. No additives, no sugar, no grains, no dairy. All of my very favorite things. I had cut out gluten in 2012 because I was told gluten is related to inflammation of which I was suffering greatly. I did it for over a year and it helped a lot. In 2016 I stayed away from dairy because I was trying to breast feed a dairy sensitive baby and my acne cleared up a lot. So I know the food that goes into my body matters. It makes a difference.

More recently I have noticed (and a friend also pointed out) how much of the kid's food I was eating. Just picking things off their plate or scarfing it down before washing dishes. Extra calories. It all adds up. And if they didn't add up to do damage, they were certainly wrecking my ability to go an hour without eating. I am being honest here. I found myself eating nearly all day long. My ability to judge if I was full or hungry was long gone.

And so was my energy. I haven't been sleeping all that well lately and waking up really tired. Napping helps in the moment but also keeps me up at night. And in general I would say my focus has been lacking . . . and when I lack focus I do a lot of Facebook feed scanning. Not how I want to spend my days.

So, all this is to say is that I am hoping to make changes. Today is Day 1 of my attempt to eat healthy, whole, natural foods and nothing else. (I celebrated this decision by eating two bagels, a cupcake and drinking two beers yesterday.)

My cart from this morning's grocery run: Full before I left the produce section. Success.


Day 1 Stats:
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with avocado 
Morning snack: banana and snap peas
Lunch: chicken breast and roasted green beans
Afternoon Snack: Almonds, apple slices and snap peas
Dinner: Spaghetti squash and homemade beef ragu

Except for breakfast I felt full after each meal/snack. I also drank a lot more water than I usually do. Definitely reached 8 cups! I also had a cup of tea at church (without honey). My cravings didn't really bother me today --I was feeling quite motivated to do well so maybe that helped. 

I don't know if I'll post everyday, but wanted to at least make it known that I had started! 
Day 2 awaits!

No comments: