Saturday, February 2, 2019

Book Club: The Hate U Give


My bookclub finished The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is January. I was actually the one to recommend it has a friend had recommended it. I knew it was going to cover some racial issues but I had no idea just how much it would open my eyes to how systemic and deep it goes.

It's a young adult novel and was a fairly easy to read story. There is a whole list of characters in this novel to keep track of, but I really liked how connected they were to the main character, which made it easy to follow. The people could have been real people, the relationships could have been real and the issues they dealt with could have been real -- and are.

The novel is about a young black man who is killed by a cop and how it rocks the boy's community -- more specifically his best friend who witnessed it. It uncovers the injustices that people of color face in a way that I need to be more aware of. It's easy enough to turn off the news (which I do most of the time) and go on my merry way, but when I read a novel that is so closely based on real events, that can somehow rock me in a real way --in the way that I should have been rocked years ago!

If you haven't read it, I would encourage you to do find a copy. It's a great read and I hope it opens your eyes to these important issues.  So much of the injustices we talk about now seem to stem from our ability to say "I matter more than you." And that has got to change.

It's also a movie now -- so you could watch it. I bet it will be great!

No comments: