Tuesday, February 12, 2019

#MinGame Round 2

For the month of January I did another round of the minimalism challenge. And I asked my facebook friends to join me. We agreed to get rid of 1 thing on day 1, 2 items on day 2, continuing this thru day 30 (or 31 if you so dared). This meant that we would get rid of over 450 items!

I created a facebook private group and we had 18 members of which 8-10 posted regularly on their successes/struggles. It was great to have the accountability and really fun to reconnect with some friends from long ago. I was and am really proud of all who participated.

I had a new motivation for going into this challenge a second time. We had learned that the application we had submitted for a loan for a 2 bedroom condo was approved and moving looked like it might actually become a reality. So, I entered Round 2 with new enthusiasm. But toward day 8, when we were supposed to be getting rid of 8 things I started to really struggle. It wasn't easy to come up with that many things to let go of. I was shocked because it was still early on in the challenge. I hadn't expected it to be hard. But I persevered and continued to find things that I had not used in years or had used and needed to replace.

And then on day 14 I was rear-ended. I had a concussion and couldn't do much for a week. I took myself out of the challenge for a few days hoping to make up the count but that proved to be too challenging. Thankfully my symptoms didn't last as long as I had feared and I was back to driving and participating in regular activity (slowly) 9 days later. But what do you suppose filled my mind with while not looking at my phone or reading (because eye strain can do terrible things when you have a concussion) . . . I planned what to purge next! I couldn't help it!


At the end of the month when I was falling behind I took the plunge and decided to let go of my baby clothes and supplies for a potential #3. We had been talking about it for the past year and now didn't feel like the right time. Maybe we'll hit that "right time" in a few months but the thought of storing all those clothes for something that was at best a year away or even more felt like a heavy weight I didn't want on my shoulders... and definitely didn't want filling my closet in our new home. So we said good bye to them. And I did totally Marie Kondo them and thank them for brining me joy and sweet memories of my babies.


At the end of the month I had missed nearly 100 items but knew that I would be getting rid of a lot more as I packed for our move which became official on January 31! 

And so far I think I'd have to say I'd made good on getting rid of those 100 items . . . at least it feels like it. 


No comments: