Monday, February 4, 2019

Baby Hagen's Quilt

My brother John and his wife Ellen had their first child on December 30. They had a baby girl named Otilia Rose and from the photos I've gotten to see she is adorable and very closely resembles her mother (who is also adorable and lovely).


The gender was a surprise so when I started planning for the quilt I went with grey and teal thinking it would work for either a boy or a girl. I had just finished cutting the pieces to begin sewing before our trip to Texas for Christmas and was still there when Otilia made her early entrance. I was a little concerned that it would look too boy-ish for this sweet girl (who was already being wrapped in floral and pink) but I continued on anyway.


But when I finished the grey/white herringbone pattern with a strip of teal I felt more confident that it was meant for her. The finished size was 43" x 43" -- I had to measure it because it felt like it was the biggest quilt I had ever made but it wasn't . . . it was just 3 inches shy.


I have actually made the herringbone pattern before -- for my nephew Alexander. I did it navy and white that time. I'm hoping the grey and white is still contrasted enough for her baby eyes!


On the back, I did a darker teal circle fabric with a strip of solid colors. I had just enough left over fabric from my previous quilt to make that work (because my backing fabric was too short!!)


Oh sweet Otilia, I can't wait to meet you.

No comments: