Sunday, August 12, 2012

Shopping Spree at Safeway

I went to Safeway yesterday to pick up just a few things, you know the essentials. Cereal was on the list since they were having a Buy 4 Save $4 sale and since I had a few coupons for cereal I planned to stock up. But we really didn't have much else on the list so we just grabbed a basket instead of getting a cart.

But Safeway surprised me.

In the cereal aisle, we realized we would need more than just a basket. There were more cereals on the sale than I originally expected!

Then on our way to pick up the last few things on my list, we passed the clearance shelf. Their clearance shelves are never well stocked. At least not with anything I usually buy. But today it was filled with granola bars and nuts (and several other things, but those didn't interest me). And I had coupons for the granola bars! Score!

You should have seen us walking with two over-stuffed baskets (and me with my coupon binder trying to keep track of all my coupons)!



Fiber One - on sale for $2.99; I used a store coupon for $1 off and a manufacturer coupon for $.75 off. Price: $1.24
2 boxes of Cheerios - on sale for $1.49 each; I used a $.50 off one. Price: $2.50
4 boxes of Wheat Chex - on sale for $1.49 each; I used a $1 off when you buy three and $1 off when you buy two General Mills cereal (paired that with the other box of Cheerios) Price: $3.96
Life cereal - on sale for $1.99 (no coupon used). Price $1.99

8 boxes of cereal: $9.19 or $1.14 per box!

Nature Valley granola bars were $3.99 and $4.29 each; on 50% off clearance sale and I had a coupon for $.50 when you buy two. Price: $3.65
South Beach protein bars were $3.69 each; also on the 50% off clearance sale and I had two $.55 off coupons. Price: $2.58

4 boxes of granola bars: $6.23 or $1.55 per box!

I didn't have any coupons for the walnuts or pecans, but we go through them so quickly we decided to stock up anyway. One bag of chopped pecans was regularly $7.99 but was 50% off making it only $3.99. We bought two bags of chopped walnuts which are regularly $6 each but with the 50% off clearance sale they were only $3 each! 

3 bags of chopped nuts: $9.99 or $3.33 each!

Our cupboards are stocked! (And my wallet isn't empty!)  Days like this make it fun to go shopping.

No comments: