Sunday, October 11, 2015

Australia: The Ocean


After our afternoon at the Queen Victoria Market, Katie and I said farewell to Pierce, Meagan and the kids and drove to Ocean Grove. As I sat in the car and we caught up, I realized what a strange setting this was for us. We were in the car, she driving on the right side of the road, sitting on the right side of the car, and we were just talking -- catching up, as if this was the most normal thing in the world. And it might be, except we've never really been in the car together other than brief stints around San Francisco (and then I don't really talk because of traffic and stress). It felt a little surreal.

After a brief stop at home where we picked up the dogs and headed to the beach. We were just in time for the sunset and it was glorious. I realize I live not far from the ocean, but somehow I have never made it there in time to see the sky change colors and turn to dusk.



We walked and talked and then headed home, stopping to pick up some fish and chips on the way. Yum! Fish and chips is quite common there and I found the way you order it interesting. You get to pick the type of fish you want, they put it in the batter and deep fry it. And you order your side of chips; they have a minimum order that will actually feed an army, so we just split that. The really interesting part is that you have to order and pay for each container of tarter sauce and ketchup you want. And it wasn't cheap. In fact, the second time I ordered fish and chips, I neglected to order the sauces and ate it dry, it wasn't nearly as tasty, but I couldn't justify spending $4 on sauces . . .

Sunday was forecasted to be the warmest day of the week, at about 70 degrees and sunny. We decided that would be our beach day and after church and lunch, we grabbed our books and blankets and went to the beach. We tried to go to one beach, but the tide was coming in, making it impossible not to actually swim.


So we tried another that had a nice grassy area. I don't know if actually got up to 70 degrees or not, but I was cold. I had my pants and jacket on and bundled in a super thick blanket. It was still lovely to read by the water, listening to the waves crash along the shore. I was reading "Love Does" by Bob Goff recommended by a friend for the trip. Eventually I warmed up and shed some layers and decided to test out the water. I rolled up my pants and let the tide meet me on the shore. It didn't feel as icy as the state-side ocean, but it certainly wasn't warm and inviting either.



That night we cooked dinner at home and went to bed early. The next day was our first big adventure: The Great Ocean Road!

No comments: