Saturday, October 20, 2018

2018 Walk for Life: Complete

What an incredible day. I personally had a really hard morning and was not feeling "all-in" even as I made my way to the pregnancy center at 9 a.m. but the Lord redeemed it and reminded me that he does bless those who walk with him.

One of the best parts of the walk is the fellowship that happens throughout the entire event. People from all over the city who stand behind Alpha and believe in protecting life are gathered in one place for one purpose. To bless. So even before the walk begins I was able to connect with people and that turned my day right around. There were so many people from my church there helping with registration and preparing to walk. There were also a few people I hadn't seen in a really long time there as well! 

And then the teams gathered together and I was blessed to be on this mama-team! I had met Brittany at last year's walk and since then she had a baby girl! And Brittany had her mother and her mother-in-law join her on the walk; my friends Beth and Jenny came along with me (but they both knew Brittany as well!) We are all mothers and collectively have over 12 kids (I failed to ask Brittany's mother-in-law how many children she has).


We had a really great time walking to M's house with all of our gifts. Seriously, those bags were full! When M opened the door, she smiled a big beautiful smile and laughed. She turned to her son and said "They're here! Come and see!" She was so excited for us to come. M is the mother of 4 beautiful children and doing her very best to raise them right. She stays home with them and keeps them active in things like karate and Mandarin classes and does a lot of activities with them at home. They live in a very small home in a not so great part of town. She shared a little of her story with us so we could pray for her. 

After we filled her table with gifts and prayed for her and her children we continued on our way to the park where the all the teams were gathering for a celebration picnic. I wasn't able to stay to hear the grand total fundraising amount but trust it will provide for Alpha to do what they do! I believe there were over 180 walkers and nearly 40 families visited!

Just imagining the number of families impacted this morning by the teams that delivered gifts to their doorsteps is quite breath taking. Forty families were told they were loved today. Forty families were told they matter and their children matter. Life matters. This was such an amazing day.

Thank you to everyone who partnered with me in prayer and financially. I had set a goal of $500 and while I didn't quite reach it, but I was really close. Including a few last minute checks received the total was $480!

Let's do it again next year!



No comments: