Saturday, March 24, 2012

Life Without Walmart

I went to Walmart today. This isn't normally considered news for anyone, but it was my first time going there in about a year. I don't purposely choose not to go there, it is just entirely out of the way of my daily life. You see, San Francisco doesn't have a Walmart in the city limits. In the one and a half years that I've lived here, I've been to Walmart three times, one of them was this afternoon. I usually talk Chris into making the stop when we are in the vicinity of one, which doesn't happen too often!

At first, I thought I would miss it. I was in the habit of going to Walmart quite frequently when I lived in Colorado; they do have just about everything after all! But since I wasn't really a fan of driving in or out of the city when we moved here, I just didn't go.

I was really looking forward to going today. I started making my list last week so I was sure I wouldn't forget anything we needed to stock up on. But I also wanted to wander around and look at things for fun. I don't really just "go shopping" very often. The last time I was there we stocked up on everything: paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, oil for the cars, shampoo . . . well you get the idea.

When we got there I wandered around for a bit but I found that it was actually just overwhelming and exhausting. I picked up the things on my list and got out of there! (There wasn't nearly that much on my list this time.)

I guess I didn't really miss it after all.

I've gotten used to not having access to the massive super stores. I still shop at a regular sized grocery store and pick things up at drugstores (which are everywhere). I still love getting a good deal, but today I realized that I don't need to drive out of my way to get them.

No comments: