Thursday, April 4, 2013

Courageous


I don't want you to think I haven't been reading lately, I have been. A lot actually. But the books I've been reading are hardly anything to brag about, much less mention. They were freebie Kindle downloads (I have a Kindle e-reader on my phone); there was one by Janette Oak that wasn't bad (I read a lot of her stuff in my teens), but most of them were cheesy romance short stories that I can't even remember anymore . . . and might be a little embarrassed that I read them.

There is one worth mentioning; it's a more well known title since it was made into a movie last year. Courageous by Randy Alcorn is about four police officers doing their best to fight a city filled with gang violence as well as trying to be decent Christians, husbands and fathers. Their day jobs often seem easier than tackling the struggles of their home lives. But all that changes when tragedy strikes and the story develops as these four cops change their focus and thereby change their lives.

It's a pretty encouraging story. Maybe even more encouraging since we have a friend who just joined the police academy. We knew we needed to hold up his wife and future family with this new career change but this book helped me understand how to pray better for them. Yes, I know it's a story, but I think from what I have heard, it represented the statistics of divorce and suicide among cops fairly accurately.

I'm not sure how the male population would rate the book, but as a girl wife, I always enjoy reading about men taking a stand for whats right and fighting for their marriages and families. The ending does go a little overboard in presenting the gospel, but I think if someone's heart were opening up to the Lord as they read this story, then it's important that the author do that.

Overall, I thought this was a good read and an encouraging story. Watching the movie may take less time, but I'm not sure it would compare.

No comments: