Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Baby B: 18 Weeks

Here it is, my first pregnancy update! I cannot count the number of mom blogs I've read in the last year just hoping that one day I'd be able to write my own . . . experience my own pregnancy and be a mom.

That's really what I wanted to do with my life . . . be a mom.

Anyway, back to the update (with great joy and gladness in my heart). And since this is my first time writing one of these, feel free to let me know if forgot anything!



How far along: 18 weeks (the photo above was taken last week; sorry it's not more up to date)

How big is the baby: about 5 ounces and 5.5 inches (according to those lovely Internet statistics)

Sleep: I've been sleeping alright; not great but not horrible. I am uncomfortable on my sides so I end up on my back most of the time (I checked with my doctor, that's okay for now). I have more energy now than I did a few weeks ago, so I'm very thankful for that! And I haven't had to take naps like I did during the first trimester.

Best moment of the week: Visiting my midwife last week and hearing the baby's heart beat. I could listen to that for hours! Also finding out that the baby can hear me. I haven't started talking to Baby B yet, but once I figure out what to say (and no one else is around) you can bet I'll talk his or her little ears off! This news made my week.

Worst thing: bloating/gas

Symptoms: Last week I felt absolutely great, really nothing to complain about. This week, I've had more disrupted sleep, bathroom breaks, and bloating. Even more nausea. Feeling more like week 11 than week 18. Come back magical Week 17! My lower back and hips have also been very sore for the past few months.

Movement: I may have felt Baby B move once the other night, but I wasn't sure. Looking forward to feeling those little legs move more!

What I miss: Wine and my bike

Food Cravings: Chocolate (but that was even before I was pregnant) and salmon.

Food Aversions: Nuts, avocado sometimes, my gluten-free crackers and orange juice

Maternity Clothes: I've purchased a few things but have only had to wear the belly band twice so far.

Things People Say: "Look at you, you've already lost your waistline" (I think one is enough; I say very stupid things to my pregnant friends, so I can't get too upset that it's my turn to hear it.)

Exercise: I no longer ride my bike but I do walk everywhere that the bus won't take me. I also still go to the gym and aim for 3 days a week. In the first trimester, I attended a few prenatal yoga classes and one prenatal Pilates class, which I loved. I hope to do those more often.
 
Last Appointment: Last Thursday (17.5 weeks)

Next Appointment: 20 week ultrasound on May 23
**We won't be finding out the gender of our little one until he or she enters the world in October**

No comments: