Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Baby B: 36 Weeks


How far along: 36 weeks

How big is the baby: Weighing about 6 pounds and measuring 19-22 inches long (according to those lovely Internet statistics). According to my midwife, baby is probably smaller than that.

Sleep: This continues to be a bit of an issue. Finding a comfortable position and having it stay that way is rare. I also wake up feeling wide a wake around 2:30 in the morning, thankfully, I do end up falling back asleep.

Best moment of the week: We had our first co-ed baby shower this past weekend and it was a blast. We were so blessed by the generosity and care of our friends - I can't even tell you how loved we felt. And how much more prepared we are!


Worst thing: I have been moving so much slower these days and find myself getting winded on these San Francisco hills. I also feel pretty stiff after sitting on the floor or even in a chair for any length of time. Kind of moving around like an older person.

Symptoms: Much of the same. Swollen ankles and a growing belly. My hands are also starting to swell and I have one of those beautiful indents underneath my wedding ring . . .but it still fits! Fatigue. I've also started experiencing braxton hicks contractions.

Movement: Movements are pretty big and noticeable if you're watching. Sometimes they hurt a little, but not too bad.

What I miss: Getting up without making noise, or putting on my socks without grunting. That and margaritas. . . in this heat, it would be lovely.


Food Cravings: Sweets. Cutting them out completely only worked for about a week. Now, I'm trying to keep myself in check and have other snacks ready to go. I found that raisins are a nice addition to my trail-mix. Those are healthy, right?!

Food Aversions: This isn't a real aversion, but my blood sugar seems to drop suddenly if I don't eat at the proper times and if I find myself stuffing my face with too many sweets, I feel just awful afterwards. Guess my body is trying to tell me something!

Maternity Clothes: Summer has hit hard in San Francisco and I am so thankful for the hand-me-down summer clothes I have. So far the long sleeve shirts I purchased have only made an appearance a few times.

Things People Say: People have been pretty kind these days, commenting that I look good, etc. which I appreciate. No one has mentioned (to my face) that my ankles have completely disappeared.

Exercise: I'm still working out about 3-4 times a week at the gym. I go slower, but still feel pretty good afterwards.

Last Appointment: August 28 - we toured the hospital which was great. I didn't really know what to expect. The rooms are small and not overly decorative, which is okay. It's pretty small, only 4 or 5 delivery rooms and a short hallway. I had been picturing walking up and down these long sterile hallways in my gown stopping for a contraction, but that won't likely be the case. I'll be taking short laps.

Next Appointment:
September 11

No comments: