Monday, September 16, 2013

The Funniest Refugee


I received this book, The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do from my good friend Katie for my birthday and it came at just the right time. I had just finished a few books from the library (which I forgot to blog about) and had no idea what I would be reading next!

Anh Do is a comedian in Australia, a pretty famous one actually. No, I had never heard of him before reading his book, but you can bet I looked him up when I finished. He has a pretty amazing story -- his family escaped Vietnam during the war when Do was just two years old. His family probably should have died on their journey, but they didn't! They made their way to Australia and his stories of trials, heart ache, hard work, and success continue.

I didn't find the book especially hilarious,  which I was sort of expecting since he's a comedian. But it was very touching and motivational. As I read the stories of him and his family and all the crazy things they tried to do to make ends meet and now have accomplished so much, I couldn't help but think of how strong we can truly be when we need to be! And with the right attitude and love, support and encouragement from family and friends, we can get through pretty much anything.

Thanks Katie for a good read and blessing me on my birthday!

No comments: