Saturday, January 11, 2014

Back to Work

My twelve week leave from work came to end on January 2nd. I had been in discussions with my employer about working from home because not only can't I afford daycare, but I wanted to stay home with my baby (but can't afford to quit either). They weren't thrilled with the idea, but were willing to let me try it and see if all my tasks really are doable from home.

So, I've now put in 7 days of work - I did ask to start out on a part-time-ish schedule, - six hours instead of eight per day. I just could not see how I could find eight free hours in my day. Six is doable, although exhausting too.

Whenever William isn't being fed or put to sleep, I am working. That may mean I put in only 10-15 minutes at a time or get as much as an hour in. I start my day when William wakes up (for the fourth time) at 6 a.m. and plug away until 6:30-7 p.m. when I can clock in that final 360th minute. Hopefully he'll start sleeping longer at night, and eating less (but larger?) meals during the day allowing me to eventually get up to full-time status.

Do any of you work from home? How do you make it work? At what point were you able to have some sort of schedule/regularity to your day?

No comments: