Saturday, March 22, 2014

Life Returns

As you may have noticed, my blog is rarely updated. I may find time to post the random shopping-expedition or monthly update on William's growth, but the rest has fallen through the cracks. I didn't plan to let my blog sit idle. I had big plans of keeping it up - even making it grow - after William was born. How I had planned to fit that in my day, I have no idea, but I did have plans.

William is almost six months old. And I am finally starting to feel like I have some sort of a rhythm in life again. I have moments that feel almost normal. The newness of my newborn hasn't worn off but has become less fragile and scary. I am still in awe that we have a son, that he is here with us and I am a mother. Our days together are mostly pleasant and I no longer hesitate to take him anywhere/everywhere. I do try to fit in my errands between naps/feeding times. But for the most part, its starting to fall into place.

I have been back to work (from home) for almost three months. I cut my hours down from 40 to 30, split up between five days. Fitting in six hours of work started out being really challenging but now, as William is napping better during the day, isn't as hard (but I still don't finish until after he goes to bed!).

Chris started a new job in January, which he enjoys very much. Once again he commutes across the Golden Gate Bridge everyday which makes his days a little longer than before. We've adjusted to the changes and have a schedule that seems to work fairly well. Chris doesn't leave for work until 8 a.m. so he can help me in the mornings, then he'll get home just after 7 p.m. and William has already gone to bed. We have about two hours together before we are off to bed too.

Chris and I try to go out on a date whenever we can find a friend to watch William, which for as often as people offer, seems very rare. The timing is just hard to figure out.

The weekends are filled with chores and errands and Chris and I find ourselves swapping who-does-what-when so William can stay home and keep napping. Rarely do we get to do something all together. But when we do, my heart sings as I feel the bonds of "family" forming.

We usually make it to church, but still spend most of the service in the infant room. And we've started hosting our community group a few times a month. (This way both Chris and I can participate while William sleeps.)

During the week, I try to go for a walk once a day with William. The weather has been so nice, it feels wrong to stay inside all day. I'm not really working out at all so the baby weight remains . . . for now.

I've gotten out my sewing machine a few times and made a card or two. Usually by the time I get my supplies out and ready I'm so tired I just want to take a nap. I'm trying to make myself rest a little and not put to much pressure on getting things done. Unfortunately, my blog falls into the category of "undone."

Which makes me pose the question (please do answer it!): If I have a moment to blog, what should I blog about? Take a moment and let me know what you miss most, what you'd like to hear/know! I would really love to hear from you.

No comments: