Sunday, March 9, 2014

Me Time: Couponing

This weekend I had a few hours to myself and you know what I did . . . clipped coupons, studied the coupon sites and went shopping . . . for toilet paper. I do wish my life were a little more exciting than that honestly, but I got a great deal and felt good doing something I enjoyed pre-baby-life.


I actually hit up three stores and did quite a few separate transactions. Here's how it worked out:

CVS:
#1: 12 oz bag of jelly beans on sale for $.99 with $.99 Extra Care Bucks
      Reese's Peanut Butter Easter Egg on sale for $.74 with $.74 ECB
     18 pack Playtex Tampons on sale for $5.99 with $3 ECB, also had $1 coupon
      Used 20% off total purchase coupon ($1.20)
      Paid: $5.52 and received $4.73 ECB (before tax)

#2: Charmin toilet paper 16 rolls with bonus 4 rolls on sale for $9.88*;
      had $1 store coupon and $.25 manufacturer coupon.
      Used $4.73 EBC from first transaction
      Paid $3.90 (before tax)

Total CVS: $9.42 before tax
*I don't like paying more than $.50 per roll for toilet paper. The ad had advertised the 16 rolls for $9.88 which is $.62 each. With the coupons I had it brought it down to $.53 each but when I saw the package with the bonus 4 rolls I knew it was going to be a great deal. And it was. It was just $.43 per roll! And if I go one step further to say that I only spent $3.90 for it, well then it was only $.20 a roll. That just makes me smile and want to say "Yippy!" :)

Walgreens:
#1: Kellogg's To-Go Shake on sale for $1.49 with $1.49 in Register Rewards
      Paid $1.49 before tax and received $1.49 RR

#2: Kellogg's To-Go Shake on sale for $1.49 with $1.49 in Register Rewards
      Paid $1.49 before tax and received $1.49 RR

#3: Two Pantene Pro-V Shampoo and 1 Conditioner on sale for $3/10
      and receive 1,000 Balance points
      Had one manufacturer coupon for $5 off 3
      Used both RR from previous transactions ($2.98)
      Paid $2.02 (before tax) and received 1,000 Balance Reward Points (equal to $1 on future purchase)

Total Walgreens: $5 and have 1,000 points

Target:
#1: 4 DiGiorno Frozen Pizzas on sale for 2/$10
      -   Used Target CartWheel for the first time ever for 5% off ($1.00)
      - Target.com coupons $2/2 (had two)
    Seventh Generation Baby Wipes 256 ct. on sale for $7.99
     - Target CartWheel offer 10% off ($.80)

Target Total: $22

It was nice to get out of the house and get some things we needed at a good price (and a few treats too!) But I was surprised by how it all zapped my energy for the rest of the day. I'll have to remember that next time!

No comments: