Friday, July 22, 2011

10 Years Ago?

This past weekend I had my 10-year High School class reunion.

10 years?

Yes, I know. I can't believe it either.

Ten years ago, it was 2001 and I was 17. At that point in time, I never thought I'd go to my 10-year reunion; I didn't think I would want to. But when my class started planning it a few months ago, I realized that I hadn't been very intentional about keeping in touch with my friends . . . and I really did want to see them again.

They were incredibly thoughtful and actually planned the event to be the same weekend I was already going to be in Minnesota. I could actually go! I could see my friends from my past. I could hear directly from them how life had turned out so far, rather than try to figure it out through facebook. The closer the time came, the more excited I got!

I never thought I would have been excited for this.

I wasn't able to attend the actual class reunion event per say, but I did get to see a majority of those who attended at other smaller get togethers. A few of them even came to my sister's wedding dance to say hi! It was wonderful!

On one hand it felt like we were never apart. Like we were still in school, still going to class together. But on the other hand, if felt like I missed out on the most important part of their lives -- marriages, babies, jobs, homes, etc. I missed seeing how everyone became who they are now.

It made me regret not staying in touch with my friends better. I could tell while we were all chatting that many of them did stay in touch through-out the years. I just wasn't one of them. By the time we graduated, I think I was so ready to be done that I left and didn't look back.

I think a few of us did that. And that's okay. We have all grown up a lot since high school. None of us are the same as we were back then. I could tell in the short amount of time I had with my classmates that we are all pretty happy with where we ended up. And that is just want I wanted to hear! I was so hopeful that all was going well with each one of them.

I'm so glad I was able to be a part of the reunion.

I had forgotten how much of my life had been spent with my classmates -- every day of every school year from 4th through 12th grade! In my attempt to forget the drama and bad memories of high school, I had forgotten how meaningful those friendships were to me. I don't want to forget that anymore.



To the class of 2001 -- God Bless!

No comments: