Thursday, April 26, 2012

Coupon Deal at CVS

I had too much fun shopping the other day . . . at the drug store. I feel so silly telling you about the great deal I got because it wasn't for anything special; it was for the most everyday supplies ever. But I paid a fraction of the retail price and it just has to be shared.

CVS has these store rewards called "Extra Care Bucks." They are coupons that are dispensed along with your receipt when you buy certain advertised items. Usually they cover the cost or a good portion of the cost of the item bought making it a really great deal. 

I did separate transactions to use the extra care coupons for the next purchase so my out-of-pocket price would be less.

#1: Halmark cards (Buy 3 and get $3 in Extra Care Bucks)
      - Bought three Hallmark greeting cards for $1.99 each
      - Used a $3.00 off coupon when I bought three
      - Used a $1.50 Extra Care Buck from a previous purchase 
         Total paid: $1.93 (including tax) and received $3 in Extra Care Bucks

#2: Blink eye drops (on sale for $8.99 and get $8.99 Extra Care Bucks)
      - Bought one at $8.99 (Regular price was $12.99)
      - Used a $1.00 off coupon
      - Used $3 Extra Care Bucks from greeting card purchase
         Total paid: 5.75 (including tax) and received $8.99 in Extra Care Bucks

#3: Head & Shoulders (on sale for 3/$14 and get $4 in Extra Care Bucks)
     - Bought three bottles (Regular price $6.00 for 14 oz. bottle)
     - Used Buy One Get One Free coupon
     - Used 8.99 Extra Care Bucks from eye drops
        Total paid $1.54 (including tax) and received $4 in Extra Care Bucks

The total out-of-pocket paid: $9.22 with a coupon of $4 to use on my next purchase
Total value of products purchased (sale price): $31.37; (the regular price: $38.97)


It's pretty exciting to "make money" shopping. In each transaction I ended up with more value in the Extra Care Buck coupon that I had paid for the actual item. That doesn't usually happen for me! 

When I was planning my shopping trip I had forgotten to include tax so I was a little frustrated at the register when my total out of pocket price was higher than I had anticipated. Almost $2 of my total cost paid was in sales tax! But really, it was still pretty cool to leave the store with $30 worth of brand-name products and a $4 coupon for less than $10.

Now I just need to find more shelf space in my closet!

No comments: