Monday, November 12, 2012

Gluten Free Breakfast

Since I was sharing my new diet with you all, I thought I should share a few of my favorite recipes with you. I'll share a few breakfast dishes here and maybe later I'll post my favorite dinner options. Both of these recipes were taken from members of SparkPeople.com

Cinnamon Quinoa with Walnuts  
You need:
1 Cup Whole Grain Quinoa
2 Cups Water

2 oz. Chopped Walnuts

1 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon

1 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
Sugar, start with 1 tbsp, add more if desired.
(or course you can adjust the spices to your liking)

Directions:
Rinse the quinoa well in cold water.
Add the quinoa, water and spices to pan and bring to a boil, then simmer on very low for 25 more minutes.
When water is absorbed, mix in the walnuts.
Enjoy hot or cold. Makes four 1/2 cup servings


Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa
You need:
1 Cup of quinoa (washed)

2 cups unsweetened apple juice*
2 cups light vanilla soy milk

2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1.5 cups (one package) of crasins

2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Rinse quinoa
Bring quinoa and apple juice to a boil in a 12 quart pan
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until most of the apple juice is absorbed.
Add soy milk, cinnamon and crasins. Simmer, covered for another 15 mins, stirring occasionally
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
Serve this hot or cold. It's a nice breakfast or snack. Makes 6 cups (1 cup = serving)

* I didn't have apple juice so I just used water and then added a chopped apples to the quinoa once was simmering.

No comments: