Monday, November 12, 2012

Three Weeks Gluten Free

No more donuts, bagels, toast, or normal sandwiches for this girl. No more chocolate cake, breaded chicken, or Cheerios. At least for the time being.

Last month, my acupuncturist recommended I take gluten out of my diet to see if it would reduce the inflammation in my arms. I have had a lot of issues with both nerve and muscle pain in my wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck and back in the past year and I was ready to try anything.

I am half way through my 45 day test of gluten-free living and so far so good. I haven't had any unusual flair ups and my pain level has been consistently lower than it was prior to incorporating this new diet into my life. I thought it would be a lot harder than it has been; I was used to eating whole-wheat everything. And sometimes splurging on the non-whole-grain treats as well.

Surprisingly, I've made do. I've substituted my normal cereal with cooked quinoa with cinnamon and walnuts and my sandwiches with a gluten-free pasta dish or anther quinoa meal. I've made a few special purchases like gluten free pasta, bread, pancake mix, and cereal. Other than that, I've tried to eat more veggies and fruits and keep my dinners simple by serving meat and a side of vegetables or a potato. I've also consumed at least two whole bags of corn tortilla chips, because well, I still need to snack on something!

I've had to say "No" to Krispy Kreme Donuts (in honor of the Giants winning the World Series a few weeks back), to pumpkin cookies and bars as well as a few other desserts. But it hasn't been too bad.

Thanksgiving will be a challenge, but I'll be okay. The last few weeks have been a good reminder to me that I am strong enough to say "No" to food. That I do have will-power and can be in control of my diet . . .and maybe my life more than I give myself credit for. Scripture says that self-control and discipline are important; so often I feel that I don't practice those very well. Eating gluten-free (taking care of my body) is one more opportunity to practice - and maybe that will spill over into my spiritual life!

No comments: