Saturday, November 24, 2012

Jane Eyre


It took me a while to get through Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bront. I started it months ago and just couldn't get into it. The language and time period were harder for me to enter into at first. I liked the story but wasn't glued to it. At least not for Part One. I also noticed that I rarely had time to sit and read so that might have been part of it. 

Part Two on the other hand was totally different. The relationships were more interesting (what can I say, romance always captures my attention), and the main character expressed more feelings. By the time I got to the last one hundred pages or so, I couldn't put it down.

Part One introduces you to the orphan girl, Jane Eyre, during an unhappy time of her life. She isn't loved or even wanted. She seems like a smart girl and a normal child and you find yourself hoping she can make a life for herself even without the often-necessary support of family.

Jane Eyre is a young, talented woman making her own life in the second half of the book. Although there is obviously a class difference between her and her employer, you can't help but hope the "crush" turns into something more. And when it does, you aren't ready for the twists and turns it takes. It's exciting and heart braking at the same time. You are sad but at the same time proud of Jane for sticking to her gut. 

I was basically an emotional wreck whenever I had to put the book down because all I wanted to do was find out what happened next. And when it was over, I was oddly satisfied. 

"Jane Erye" is one of those classics that many people read in school. I never did. A friend of mine was clearing out her bookshelf and offered it to me so of course I took it (I can't turn down a free book). I really enjoyed the book once I got into it. Everyone who saw me reading the book told me I wold like it  . . . and they were right. (They know me so well).

 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree 100%! It was slow to get into, although I knew I should keep going. It picked up SO MUCH and I couldn't put it down. Now I consider it one of my favorite classic books. Any other classics you'd recommend?

Emily said...

I don't know if I've read many classics honestly. I did enjoy the Anne of Green Gables series a while ago.