Sunday, October 2, 2011

Mom's Cowboy Cookies

My mom has the best chocolate-chip oatmeal cookie recipe. I learned how to make them at a very early age. In fact, I first learned how to bake using this recipe . . . measuring flour, sugar, softening butter etc. I have very vivid memories of my arms getting tired as I stirred in those cups of flour. The County Fair saw plenty of these cookies over the years as each of us kids entered them . . . several times! What can I say, it's a blue-ribbon winner!

Last week, I had a strong urge to bake. I wanted to bring in something special for my co-workers as it was my boss's birthday. This recipe was perfect! It's really quick and easy and I know it turns out great.





Sorry about the color -- I have horrible lighting in my kitchen after dark (for photos anyway). This is what you need: 1/2 cup Crisco, 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, two eggs . . . mix those together. When blended add: 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Blend that in well. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 cups oatmeal and 1 cup chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.

Let them cool (if you can) before eating! Delicious!

No comments: