Saturday, October 15, 2011

"One Day" Review


A while back I read "One Day" by David Nicholls and I just never got around to posting my thoughts about it. Sorry -- here it goes.

I had seen the previews for the new movie based on the book and thought I'd like to see it since I usually love movies that Anne Hathaway is in. A friend recommended the book so I thought I'd read it before venturing out to see the movie. 

As far as reading goes, I found it to be entertaining. I definitely wasn't going to quit reading half way through, but I did think the lives the two characters lead left something to be desired. Granted, I'm sure my life isn't thrilling at every turn either but we don't normally read about "normal people's lives" now do we . . . oh wait. Never mind. (You are reading my blog!)

I didn't really enjoy the story of two people's lives never really fitting together like you want them to until life was almost over. But in retrospect, the choices the characters made could very well happen to anybody. Missed opportunity. Waiting for life to happen. Pride. Shame. Regret. Unemployment. Bad employment. Who hasn't experienced that stuff? 

The book is dramatic and I was entertained for a few days. I don't think I'll be going to see the movie.

No comments: