Saturday, October 15, 2011

"The Soldier's Wife" Review


Last week I finished "The Soldier's Wife" by Margaret Leroy. It's a novel about a woman's life living on the island of Guernsey during WWII when her husband is off at war. The German's take over the island and enforce rules on civilians and build labor camps for prisoner's of war. 

I can't imagine being left to raise a family without my husband, much less during a war where their are low food rations and the "enemy" living right next door. The question is raised throughout the book of befriending the Germans or maintaining a cold distance. Every character seems to think through that process differently and the way they answer that question will affect their experience of the war. It raised the question in me of how morals change when the circumstance is war. I have to admit that I have not affected by the war efforts of our own country after 9/11

The story takes turns I would not have expected which made it a more enjoyable read even if I didn't personally agree with what the characters did or the choices they made. It was a good read--but I'm glad I borrowed it from the library!

No comments: