Thursday, December 8, 2011

This Momentary Marriage

I received This Momentary Marriage by John Piper as a wedding gift and I'm sorry to say it has taken me a while to get to it. I have to be in the right mood to read a John Piper book. I had looked at it many times, but just couldn't get myself ready for him. He's very intense. I heard him speak once when I was in college. He's a great preacher.

I have to say that I really liked this book. I did have my doubts. But I was able to get right into what he was saying and agreed with most of it. He uses a lot of scripture and he drives home his main points by restating a lot of what he has already said.

I would even say that I found this book inspiring. I was inspired to love God more, love my husband more, and be an active participant in this marriage. To not take this covenant lightly. To keep it sacred.

His main point is that marriage between husband and wife is meant to be an example of the covenant keeping relationship between Christ and the Church. Ephesians 5 is quoted a lot -- which was the scripture that was read at our wedding. I can't go into all of the points that really caught my attention but I will say that I really needed Piper's reminder about what submission looks like in marriage and why it's so important. I definitely recommend that you read it! The chapters are short and it's a fairly quick read if you can stick with it.


No comments: