Thursday, June 13, 2013

Once Upon A Wish


Once Upon a Wish: True Inspirational Stories of Make-A-Wish Children by Rachelle Sparks is exactly what it sounds like . . . heart wrenching stories of children going through the unthinkable and surviving.

So heart wrenching in fact that I could not get past the fourth page without crying . . . in public no less. After reading the stories of two young girls, I had to make a decision. Do I continue and put my all-ready-super-sensetive emotions through the rest of the book, expecting to cry at least once each time I picked it up or to stop reading it.

I chose to stop reading it.

I never stop reading a book part way through. But I guess I had to this time.

So, although I cannot fully recommend this book (to pregnant women at least) I will say that reading about the hope and joy offered through Make-A-Wish is wonderful and I'm glad they do what they do. And it is inspiring to read what families have survived . . . that really, really awful stuff can be lived through and learned from.

If you need to let some tears fall, go ahead and pick up this book. Or maybe your not the emotional type, then by all means, read these real-life stories. They are incredible. These families are so strong and courageous. But be warned, your heart may break along the way.

No comments: