Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Corelli's Mandolin


After sharing a quote from this book, I thought I should probably read it. Corelli's Mandolin by British writer Lois de Bernieres is a story of family, friendships, love and war that is set on the Greek island of Cephalloni.

The author introduces us to several characters using chapter breaks as way of introducing someone else's story.  I liked getting to know these characters in this way; and trying to guess just how these characters would meet and interact later on.

The main characters are a father and daughter who live on the island of Cephalloni during WWII. They are invaded by the Italian army and find themselves having to host one of their captains. In the midst of trying to hate their enemy, they find that he is not a bad man and end up liking him very much, especially his music from his mandolin. As the war continues, life gets harder and all end up suffering in one way or another.

Without giving away too much, the second half of the book is pretty tragic and I found myself asking how the author was going to bring closure to their lives. I do have to say that by the time I reached the end, I wished there was even more. The story just wasn't complete in my mind.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and although, I'm not much into reading about war and injury, the love story was a good one! And I like the quote I shared last month even more. In searching out more on the book, I discovered there was a movie made in 2001; I may have to rent it. 




No comments: