Saturday, November 9, 2013

Why I Quit my Gym Membership

Most people probably wouldn't quit their gym membership when they know they will have at least 15-20 pounds (or more!) to loose after they have a baby. Well, I actually quit my gym membership the week of my due date. Here's how I came to that decision:

I have belonged to the same gym for a year and a half.  I shared my internal debate with you here; it was meant to be a month-to-month decision but actually, I enjoyed it so much, I never really gave it a second thought. And we made it work in our budget so I didn't have to worry about that either! I loved it.  I really didn't have any regrets.

When we found out we were expecting, I kept up the membership and actually kept up my routine as much as I could. Toward the end of my pregnancy, the frequency declined to three times a week and I dropped the intensity. But it was still worth the investment. I was feeling really good and it helped keep my weight in check (because we know I wasn't watching the calories).

I debated whether or not I should keep my membership once I had my baby. I knew I wouldn't feel up to working out for at least 6-8 weeks postpartum, paying for a membership when I wasn't going to use it seemed like a waste of money. And I knew getting to the gym three times a week would be a challenge, especially since I was planning to transition from working at the office to working from home which would make the gym not quite as convenient. I could go less often, but then it wouldn't be a very good return for my money. At three times a week, it was costing me $4 per session. Not bad. But I wasn't willing to have it cost more than that. Yes, this is my greatest motivation for getting to the gym!

Having a gym that doesn't provide childcare (not many in this area do), I would have to find a sitter for William if I wanted to go when Chris was unavailable to be home. Or, I would need to limit my workouts to evenings and weekends, which I knew would be challenging to commit to. 

So, I decided to end the membership. . . at least for now. I'm not planning to give up working out, I enjoy it too much. I needed to give myself a pass to rest and recover without the pressure of returning to a gym (and throwing money away); and when I'm ready to get back into it, I will! I know it would be good for me to intentionally get out of the house every few days and do something for myself. I might be returning to the same gym, but they did increase their prices, or I may have to find a cheaper gym -- one that I wouldn't feel guilty paying for if I only made it once or twice a week. They exist, I know it! I'll let you know what I find!

No comments: